Community visit reports 2015
These reports profile the Commission’s 2015 visits to:
- Far West NSW PDF 1.5 MB
- Southern NSW PDF 1.5 MB
- Mid North Coast PDF 582 KB
Galambila Aboriginal Medical Service Report PDF 2 MB
- Murrumbidgee PDF 800 KB
Watch videos from the community visits on our YouTube channel.
In 2013, the Mental Health Commission of NSW (the Commission) held a series of forums with communities in Broken Hill, Kempsey, Tamworth, Nowra and Dubbo in order to understand more about the particular needs and experiences of people with mental illness who live outside metropolitan areas. The feedback from the forums informed the Commission’s subsequent recommendations for the reform of the mental health system.
Since those initial forums, the Commission has completed Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024 (Living Well). The NSW Government has accepted all the 141 recommendations for mental health reform it describes and a Mental Health Reform Implementation Task Force has been established. The high-level team is chaired by the Secretary of NSW Health and includes senior representatives from all major government agencies referred to in Living Well, including Family and Community Services, Education and Justice. In summary, stage two of reform, action and implementation, has begun.
In mid-2015, the Commission returned to regional NSW to visit towns including Broken Hill, Wagga Wagga, Griffith, Coffs Harbour, Kempsey, Queanbeyan, Goulburn and Bega to gauge and promote awareness of Living Well at the Local Health District (LHD) level, and to learn about any early steps towards mental health reform. The Commission was keen to hear about inspiring examples of excellence in person-focused, recovery-oriented mental health care. It was also interested to hear about barriers to change as government agencies, non-government organisations (NGOs), clinicians and other stakeholders look for better ways to work together to provide timely, person-centred care for people living with mental illness.
- Annual Reports
- Accessible data
- Reports and resources
- Stigma and discrimination in NSW
- The effectiveness of services led or run by consumers in mental health: Rapid review of evidence for recovery-orientated outcomes
- Mental health and wellbeing strategy for first responder organisations in NSW
- One year on
- Physical health and mental wellbeing: an evidence guide
- Proposed Suicide Prevention Framework for NSW
- Community visit reports 2015
- Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024
- Medication and Mental Illness: Perspectives
- The NSW NDIS and Mental Health Analysis Partnership Project
- Support in tough times
- Living Well: Putting people at the centre of mental health reform in NSW: A Report
- Mental health and homelessness report
- The costs and benefits of interventions in the area of mental health: a rapid review
- The evidence on the costs and impacts on the economy and productivity due to mental ill health: a rapid review
- Living well in our community - Paper 1
- Review NSW Institute of Psychiatry