Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024
The Strategic Plan sets out actions and future directions for reform of the mental health system in NSW. It maps a demanding agenda for change that puts people – not processes – at the heart of its thinking. It asks that the NSW Government recommit to completing the process of reform begun with the Inquiry into Health Services for the Psychiatrically Ill and Developmentally Disabled (Richmond Report) in the 1980s in particular by taking two important steps - closing the remaining stand-alone psychiatric institutions and shifting the focus of mental health care from hospitals to the community.
The Plan does not directly govern the operation of services but instead lays out directions and principles for reform which agencies and service providers must find ways to embed in the supports they offer to people in our community.
The Report and the Plan are companion documents and should be read together.
Download PDF versions of the Strategic Plan or read a summary, list of actions or an Easy English version.
- Annual Reports
- Accessible data
- Reports and resources
- Stigma and discrimination in NSW
- The effectiveness of services led or run by consumers in mental health: Rapid review of evidence for recovery-orientated outcomes
- Mental health and wellbeing strategy for first responder organisations in NSW
- One year on
- Physical health and mental wellbeing: an evidence guide
- Proposed Suicide Prevention Framework for NSW
- Community visit reports 2015
- Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024
- Medication and Mental Illness: Perspectives
- The NSW NDIS and Mental Health Analysis Partnership Project
- Support in tough times
- Living Well: Putting people at the centre of mental health reform in NSW: A Report
- Mental health and homelessness report
- The costs and benefits of interventions in the area of mental health: a rapid review
- The evidence on the costs and impacts on the economy and productivity due to mental ill health: a rapid review
- Living well in our community - Paper 1
- Review NSW Institute of Psychiatry