Medication and Mental Illness: Perspectives
The development of Medication and Mental Illness: Perspectives was undertaken to explore the challenges and opportunities presented by medication as a treatment for mental illness. Specifically, the Mental Health Commission of NSW sought to elevate the voice of the consumers and carers and enable them to advocate for change.
The Commission published an issues paper on medication and mental illness in November 2014 and invited submissions on the topic. It also conducted focused consultations with special interest groups in February – March 2015. Over 200 submissions were received and the resulting analysis uncovered six key themes, around which the paper is structured:
1. Medication is one treatment option: people want medication to be prescribed in conjunction with non-pharmacological therapies.
2. Health systems, practices and recovery: prescribing takes place within a system that currently experiences challenges
3. Taking medication: consumers and carers said that their concerns about medications were either ignored or dismissed.
4. Medication costs: the high cost of medication can be a barrier to access
5. Medication side effects: the unwanted effects of medication can range from mild and bearable to permanent and sometimes life threatening.
6. Medication supported my recovery: medication can assist a return to regular routine.
The Commission’s Pharmacotherapy in Mental Health Advisory Group (PAG) was instrumental in shaping this project’s focus and methodology.
Read our medication and mental illness checklist: Let's talk about mental health medication.
See also the Medication and mental illness video playlist on the Commission YouTube channel on this topic.
- Annual Reports
- Accessible data
- Reports and resources
- Stigma and discrimination in NSW
- The effectiveness of services led or run by consumers in mental health: Rapid review of evidence for recovery-orientated outcomes
- Mental health and wellbeing strategy for first responder organisations in NSW
- One year on
- Physical health and mental wellbeing: an evidence guide
- Proposed Suicide Prevention Framework for NSW
- Community visit reports 2015
- Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024
- Medication and Mental Illness: Perspectives
- The NSW NDIS and Mental Health Analysis Partnership Project
- Support in tough times
- Living Well: Putting people at the centre of mental health reform in NSW: A Report
- Mental health and homelessness report
- The costs and benefits of interventions in the area of mental health: a rapid review
- The evidence on the costs and impacts on the economy and productivity due to mental ill health: a rapid review
- Living well in our community - Paper 1
- Review NSW Institute of Psychiatry