Central and Eastern Sydney consultation: July 2019
The Commission visited communities in Central and Eastern Sydney in July 2019. We had the privilege of learning about a variety of innovative initiatives and programs that are improving mental health and wellbeing in the region. Watch the video showcasing the Eurella Program and click the links below to learn about other examples of reform in the region.
What is working well for the Central Sydney region?
People attending our consultation in Central Sydney reported that:
- awareness of mental illness is improving,
- there are more programs available in the community and services are shifting away from crisis care
- there is an increase in co-design practices and peer worker numbers
- there are more early intervention programs for school aged youth.
What are the challenges for the Central Sydney region?
People attending our Central Sydney consultation reported that:
- accessing face to face support when experiencing a crisis is challenging as there is no 24-hour crisis team
- demand outstrips capacity of services, for example: only short-term support is available, long waiting lists or no response
- funding for services is short term only
- emergency services and crisis (police) responses are not meeting peoples needs.
What are the priorities for the Central Sydney region?
People attending our consultation in Central Sydney ranked the following as top priorities for future effort in mental health reform:
- increase co-design and number of peer workers (beyond health services)improve the accessibility and visibility of health services
- scale up co-commissioning and collaboration between government agencies
- create more services for children and young people.
View the images created by our graphic scribe
View the images created by our graphic scribe on this page to see what was discussed and shared in the full day workshop. Right click on an image to save and then print as required.
Also below are photos taken from our consultations throughout the region, reproduced with permission.
For each consultation, a graphic scribe was produced outlining the primary points of the consultation.
The Central and Eastern Sydney consultation can be downloaded below.