Western Sydney consultation: July 2019
The Commission visited communities in Western Sydney in July 2019. We had the privilege of learning about a variety of innovative initiatives and programs that are improving mental health and wellbeing in the region. Watch the video showcasing the Petspace Initiative and click the links below to learn about other examples of reform in the region.
What is working well for the Western Sydney region?
People attending our consultation in Homebush reported that:
- there are more programs in the community that address cultural diversity
- there is a greater number of consumer led programs and peer workers
- there are more assertive outreach programs
- there is more training and support for carers.
What are the challenges for the Western Sydney region?
People attending our Homebush consultation reported the following challenges:
- the mental health system is a maze, not linked and difficult to navigate
- the workforce needs more training to meet service demands
- there is a need for more funding for social connection
- limited funding cycles impact on the ability to provide stable services.
What are the priorities for the Western Sydney region?
People attending our consultation in Homebush ranked the following as top priorities for future effort in mental health reform:
- invest in programs that have demonstrated successes
- improve access to services in the community to avoid hospital admissions
- simplify and standardise funding applications and increase funding terms
- have outcome measurements compared with other regions.
View the images created by our graphic scribe
View the images created by our graphic scribe on this page to see what was discussed and shared in the full day workshop. Right click on an image to save and then print as required.
Also below are photos taken from our consultations throughout the region, reproduced with permission.
For each consultation, a graphic scribe was produced outlining the primary points of the consultation.
The Western Sydney scribe can be downloaded below.