What is working well in Orange?
The Commission held community consultations in Orange on the 28th and 29th of May 2019. People attending our consultations in Orange reported that:
- there is less stigma and more community awareness of people experiencing mental health issues
- there is an increase in peer workers and valuing the voice of lived experience in clinical services
- there are more suicide prevention and aftercare services available in the community
- there is more choice of community-based supports.
What are the challenges in Orange?
People attending our consultations in Orange reported that:
- there are major issues resulting from a workforce shortages of skilled professionals
- short term funding cycles not only affect recruitment, but also collaboration
- there are training gaps within the existing workforce
- it is difficult to find out which service can help.
What are the priorities in Orange?
People attending our consultations in Orange ranked the following as top priorities for the next steps for future effort in mental health reform:
- addressing workforce shortages and the lack of skilled mental health professionals
- longer and sustainable funding for mental health
- build resilience and prevention in the community
- improve the visibility of mental health services .