In March 2015, the NSW Mental Health Commission invited NSW Local Health Districts (LHDs) and Specialty Networks to submit Expressions of Interest for funding for projects that effectively plan and seed activities for the implementation of Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024 (the Strategic Plan) recommendations. Proposals were received from thirteen LHDs and one speciality network with all applicants being successful in receiving funding.
The quality and diversity of applications received made it clear that Local Health Districts have already begun embracing the challenge of reform presented by the Strategic Plan. The commitment to developing district-wide joined-up responses, putting consumers at the centre of decision making, adopting trauma-informed and recovery-oriented models of care, using evidence to drive decision making and improving community-based mental health, all speak to a sector that is ready for reform.
In addition, each of these projects contributes to the Commission’s broader agenda of strengthening local action. As detailed in the Strategic Plan, the Commission remains dedicated to ‘empowering government agencies and community organisations to work together at local levels guided by the participation of consumers, carers and families’.
Read more about the funded projects via the links on this page. We've provided a snapshot of the work contained in each project, which represent just a fraction of the work being done for mental health reform within each district by the many agencies, private clinics, community-managed organisations, peak bodies and the consumers, carers and professionals that drive them.
- Central Coast LHD - Restructuring service delivery
- Far West LHD - Collective Impact Framework
- Hunter New England LHD - Developing an evidence base for change
- Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD - Nurturing a recovery orientation to practice
- Mid North Coast LHD - Showcasing innovative collaborative practice
- Murrumbidgee LHD - Forming a collaborative framework
- Nepean Blue Mountains LHD - Improving the system for vulnerable children and their families
- Northern NSW LHD - Innovation in models of care
- Northern Sydney LHD - Developing a planning roadmap
- South Eastern Sydney LHD - Integration Forum with GPs
- South Western Sydney LHD - Implementation of Strengths Model
- St Vincent’s Health Network - An urban partnership for integrated care
- Western NSW LHD - Reconfiguration of the Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol Service
- Western Sydney LHD - Blacktown Local Government Area Beacon Site for Acute Community Treatment
Find out more about the Commission's Living Well reforms.