- Three most common mental health issues in the prison population are depression, anxiety and drug dependence
- 47% of men in prison are being treated for mental health issues
- 54% of women in prison are being treated for mental health issues
- 21% of the prison population have attempted suicide - 27% of women and 19% of men
- 15% of the prison population have self-harmed
Download the infographic (PNG 86KB)
Please reference this infographic as
NSW Mental Health Commission (2014). Living Well: Putting people at the centre of mental health reform in NSW. A matter of justice infographic 3. Sydney, NSW Mental Health Commission.
- Indig, D., L. Topp, B. Ross, H. Mamoon, B. Border, S. Kumar and M. McNamara (2010). 2009 NSW inmate health survey: Key findings report. Sydney, Justice Health Sydney.
- McCausland, R., E. Baldry, S. Johnson and A. Cohen (2013). People with mental health disorders and cognitive impairment in the criminal justice system: Cost-benefit analysis of early support and diversion. Sydney, University of New South Wales and PwC.